Thursday 8 November 2007

Terry getting up close and personal with the wildlife

Yesterday, Terry was fastening his jeans up, when he felt something wriggling in one leg. To our amazement, out shot a small lizzard and hid in the corner of the trailer. Don't know who was most upset - Terry or the lizzard!!! The poor thing was very carefully put outside. Don't know how long it had been in the trailer - it may have been transported from Withlacoochee for all we know, so it may be miles from it's home and family!
Later, we were tramping round a trail at Olustree ( will explain all later) when I noticed that Terry had some spider web trailing from his sweatshirt. As I mentioned this, Terry turned round and I screamed as I saw a very large - at least two inches wide - spider sitting on his chest - Terry nearly had a panic attack as he frantically brushed the spider off and he was dancing up and down as I sat shuddering. Spiders are my pet hate!!!! Terry always laughs at me when I get him to remove any spiders at home, but I didn't see him laughing this time!! So, Ron does not have the monopoly of getting up close and personal with the Florida wildlife any more!!
Olustree is a fascinating State Park. It commemorates a battle ( the largest in Florida) between the Confederates and the Union during the Civil War. Over 10,000 soldiers were involved, The Union losing nearly 2,000 and the Confederates losing about 900. The Confederates won this battle in 1864, as the Union were trying to stop Floridians sending beef, salt and other supplies to their army further North. Unfortunately, it didn't affect the final outcome of the Civil War in 1865.
I always feel that war is so futile when you consider the vast number of people affected by war, soldiers and their families etc. But, I suppose, you cannot alter man's inability to coexist peaceably with his neighbour, when some people want power and to take over what other's have.
Today, Thursday, we have had a very quiet day, reading, doing the washing and soaking up some lovely sun. We had a quick reccy. round the State Park where the festival is being held, to suss things out. A peaceful day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Guys glad to see you are having fun cuddling the local arachnids! All is well here in the UK - cold and grey and dark! I'll keep chekcing your posts to see how youget on ! DT